- ½ cup shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a colander or fine-mesh sieve set over a large bowl, toss together zucchini and ½ teaspoon salt; let stand for 15 minutes. Place zucchini in paper towels, squeezing to release excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, onion powder, all pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until butter is pea-size. Stir in buttermilk just until combined. Stir in zucchini, 1 cup cheese, and chives just until combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups (about ¼ cup each).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes more. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes; serve warm.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!