This White Chocolate, Strawberry, and Ginger Trifle is a sweet treat.
White Chocolate, Strawberry, and Ginger Trifle
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 8 (4-inch) sprigs fresh mint, divided
- 1 (3-ounce) package sliced candied ginger, divided
- 5 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 (¼-ounce) packet unflavored gelatin
- 2 (4-ounce) bars white chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 (16-ounce) frozen pound cakes, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, cored and quartered
- Garnish: fresh mint sprig
- In a small saucepan, combine ½ cup water, ½ cup sugar, 4 sprigs mint, and 2 slices candied ginger. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve, discarding solids. Cool syrup completely.
- In a small bowl, pour ¼ cup cream. Sprinkle gelatin over cream, and let stand 10 minutes to soften. In a small saucepan, combine 2 cups cream, remaining 4 sprigs mint and 2 slices ginger. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often to prevent scorching. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Whisk softened gelatin into hot cream mixture until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add chopped chocolate, stirring until chocolate is completely melted. Beat 1¼ cups cream until it reaches soft peaks. Fold into white chocolate mixture. Chill chocolate mixture until firm, about 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Finely chop all remaining candied ginger. Beat remaining 1½ cups cream with remaining ¼ cup sugar until it reaches soft peaks.
- In a large trifle dish, place a fourth of pound cake cubes in a single layer, and drizzle with a fourth of syrup. Spread a fourth of white chocolate mousse over cake cubes, and top with a fourth of strawberries. Repeat layers three more times. Top with sweetened whipped cream. Sprinkle with chopped candied ginger, and garnish with a fresh mint sprig, if desired.
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!