Fresh figs, light brown sugar, and honey come together beautifully to make this flavorful Upside-Down Fig Cake you’ll want to serve again and again. For variety, feel free to substitute the flavors seasonally with 1 cup of chopped fresh fruit. You could use pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, pears, peaches, or apples.
Upside-Down Fig Cake
makes 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 1½ cups plus 1½ teaspoons butter, softened and divided
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 10 fresh figs, stems removed and halved
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan with 2-inch sides with 1 teaspoon butter. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; grease top of parchment paper with ½ teaspoon butter.
- In a small saucepan, melt ½ cup butter over medium-low heat. Stir in brown sugar and honey, and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Let cool slightly; pour sauce into prepared pan. Arrange fig halves, cut sides down, in concentric circles over sauce.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining 1 cup butter at medium speed with a mixer for 1 to 2 minutes or until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla, and beat for 3 to 4 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; gradually add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spoon batter over figs in prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 1 hour. Carefully run a knife around edge of cake to loosen, and invert onto a serving plate.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!