Serve this zesty Tortilla Soup with a dollop of sour cream, tortilla chip strips, and green onion slices.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onion
- In a medium bowl, stir together cumin and next 3 ingredients. Add chicken, tossing to coat.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- In same pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in broth and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add tortilla chips, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, pour mixture into the container of a blender. Secure lid on blender, and remove center piece of blender lid to allow steam to escape. Place a clean towel over opening in lid to avoid splatters, and process until smooth. Return all soup to pan.
- Stir corn and cooked chicken into soup, and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or until heated through. Top servings with chips, sour cream, and green onion.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/