This Toasted Italian Sub Sandwich is piled high with ham, salami, pepperoni, Swiss cheese, and pickled onions that is perfect for a quick and filling lunch or dinner.
Toasted Italian Sub Sandwich
Serves: 6 to 8
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 (1-pound) French or Italian bread loaf, halved lengthwise
- ½ pound thinly sliced honey ham
- 6 ounces thinly sliced salami
- ¼ pound thinly sliced pepperoni
- Quick Pickled Onions (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup sliced black olives
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1½ cups shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and pesto. Spread mixture onto cut sides of bread. Layer bottom of bread with ham, salami, pepperoni, Quick Pickled Onions, olives, cheese, and bread top. Wrap sandwich in foil.
- Bake until cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Add tomatoes and lettuce to sandwich just before slicing and serving.
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- In a large jar, combine all ingredients. Seal and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour before using. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.