Swapping out corn husks for corn flour adds an interesting new flavor profile to these spicy cakes, and they pair well with just about any topping you choose.
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup diced country ham
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup instant corn masa flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- Spicy Sour Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl; stir in ham, melted butter, sugar, and remaining 1⁄2 cup corn kernels. Stir in masa flour and garlic powder until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a cast-iron griddle, heat oil over medium heat. Scoop mixture by 1⁄4 cupfuls onto griddle, and gently press to slightly flatten. Cook until browned and crisp on bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn, and press to slightly flatten; cook until browned on bottom and firm, 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining corn mixture, adding oil as needed. Serve immediately with Spicy Sour Cream. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Spicy Sour Cream
Serves: about ½ cup
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 medium lime, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, lime zest and juice, and all remaining ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving or up to 3 days.