Take rice casserole to the next level with these hearty winter swiss chard greens and black-eyed peas.
Swiss Chard, Black-Eyed Pea, & Rice Casserole
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup frozen black-eyed peas
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- In a large saucepan, combine water, rice, peas, 2 tablespoons butter, salt, and red pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add Swiss chard and garlic; cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until wilted. Add to rice mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in bacon.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Spoon rice mixture into prepared dish. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle over rice mixture. Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/