Sweet Potato Soup
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 6 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (6-ounce) package shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a large Dutch oven, bring sweet potatoes and water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside to cool. Peel potatoes, discarding skin, and coarsely chop; set aside.
- Add bacon to Dutch oven, and cook over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon, reserving ¼ cup drippings in pan, and let drain on paper towels.
- To drippings, add shallot and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until just tender. Add chopped potatoes, broth, cream, and thyme; cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.
- Spoon half of soup into the container of a blender. Secure lid on blender, and remove center piece of lid to allow steam to escape. Place a clean towel over opening in lid, and process soup until smooth. Pour puréed soup into a large bowl. Repeat blending process with remaining soup, and return all soup to pot. Stir in sour cream, Parmesan, and paprika. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through. Top with crumbled bacon.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/