This classic Sweet Potato Pie is full of flavor from vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a generous serving of sweetened whipped cream.
Sweet Potato Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups mashed cooked sweet potato
- ½ (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Garnish: sweetened whipped cream, ground nutmeg
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly, about 30 seconds. With processor running, add 6 tablespoons cold water in slow, steady stream until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ¼-inch thickness. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- For filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sweet potato and cream cheese at high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add sugar and half-and-half; beat for 5 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in melted butter, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until combined. Pour into prepared crust. Cover edges with foil.
- Bake on lowest oven rack until filling is set around edges and center jiggles slightly when gently shaken, about 1 hour. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream and nutmeg, if desired. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!