Like green bean casserole? Try this Sweet Pea Casserole, a twist on the classic Southern side dish.
Sweet Pea Casserole
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (8-ounce) container sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 (2.8-ounce) can french-fried onion rings
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, and cook, stirring constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted and smooth; stir in peas. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Top with onion rings, and bake 5 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!