Topped with swirls of homemade Strawberry Buttercream, these Strawberry Soda Mini Cupcakes bring the fun on Valentine’s Day.
Strawberry Soda Mini Cupcakes
Serves: Makes 54
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box strawberry cake mix*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup strawberry soda (not diet)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Strawberry Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: candy conversation hearts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 54 miniature muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, soda, and oil with a mixer at low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat for 2 minutes. Spoon batter into prepared cups, filling cups two-thirds full.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread or pipe Strawberry Buttercream onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with candy hearts, if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup strawberry syrup
- ½ teaspoon strawberry extract
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. With mixer on low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in strawberry syrup and extract until light and fluffy. Use immediately.