This strawberry shortcake will impress anyone and everyone you serve it to.
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
Write a review
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons almond liqueur
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Garnish: whole fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, 2 1/2 cups sugar, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluff y. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spread batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- In a medium bowl, stir together strawberries and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, and brush with 1 tablespoon liqueur. Spread with one-third of whipped topping, and top with one-third of strawberries. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with whole strawberries, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Shortcake refers not to the height of the dessert but the type of baked good originally used for the dessert. In Britain, where shortcakes developed, the term “short” meant flaky or crumbly, which is created by adding a lot of fat to flour (hence, shortening). It’s just as common today, though, to see shortcake the dessert made with cake layers as it is biscuit- or scone-type breads.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!