This scrumptious strawberry-rhubarb pie is the prettiest pie we ever did see.
Write a review
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, ¼ cup sugar, and salt. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With food processor running, add 1 cup ice water in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. Divide dough in half, and shape each into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour or for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Remove dough from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together strawberries, rhubarb, cornstarch, and remaining ¾ cup sugar; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough disk to a 13-inch square; press into bottom and up sides of prepared pan. Pour strawberry mixture into pan. Roll remaining disk to a 9-inch square, and cut into ½-inch-wide strips. Arrange dough strips in a diagonal lattice pattern over strawberry mixture. Trim excess dough, and crimp edges of top and bottom crust together to seal. Brush top crust with beaten egg.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- One (10-ounce) package frozen diced rhubarb can be substituted for fresh rhubarb.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!