Makes 10 servings
Write a review
- 8 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Garnish: fresh mint
- In the top of the double boiler, whisk together egg whites, 2 cups sugar, and cream of tartar until combined. Cook over simmering water until mixture registers 140° on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat, and immediately pour mixture into the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat at high speed for 10 minutes until mixture is stiff and glossy and bowl is cool to the touch.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spoon egg white mixture into 10 mounds on prepared pans, making a well in each with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 1½ hours. Turn oven off, and leave meringues in oven with door closed for 4 hours.
- In a medium bowl, stir together strawberries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand 15 minutes. Top meringues with strawberries, garnish with mint, if desired. Serve immediately.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/