Put a smile on everyone’s face with this delicious Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake!
Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake
Makes 1 (13x9-inch) cake
- 1(16-ounce) container fresh strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1(15.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 1(8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: macerated strawberries (see Kitchen Tip)
- For filling: In a medium saucepan, cook strawberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice over medium heat until juicy and thick, 7 to 10 minutes. Carefully transfer mixture to the container of a blender, and purée until smooth. Let stand at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour.
- Meanwhile, for cake: In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, 1¼ cups water, oil, zest, and extract with a mixer at medium speed until thick and smooth, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape bowl. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over top of warm cake. Spread strawberry filling onto cake. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. In another large bowl, beat cream and zest with a mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese until smooth. Spread onto cake. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Garnish with macerated strawberries, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: For macerated strawberries, stir together 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!