This scrumptious Strawberry Jam Cake is full of fruit flavor and covered in a rich cream cheese frosting.
Strawberry Jam Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup strawberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- ¼ teaspoon liquid red food coloring
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper; spray paper with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in preserves and extract until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in food coloring until well combined. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, gently remove parchment, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with strawberries, if desired. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 6 cups
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in strawberries and extract until well combined.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!