Serve up a scoop of this ice cream filled with delicious summer strawberries.
Strawberry Ice Cream
Makes 1½ quarts
Write a review
- 3 cups finely chopped fresh strawberries, divided
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Red liquid food coloring (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cook 1½ cups strawberries and ¼ cup sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Stir in cream and milk, and cook just until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and remaining ¼ cup sugar. Whisking constantly, add half of hot cream mixture to egg yolks in a slow, steady stream. Whisk egg mixture into remaining milk mixture in saucepan, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla and salt; tint with food coloring, if desired. Pour mixture into a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cold, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture into the container of an electric ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions, adding remaining 1½ cups strawberries when mixture is partially frozen. Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe container, and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/