These delicious Strawberry Hand Pies will satisfy any sweet-tooth and come together in a snap with store-bought pie dough.
Strawberry Hand Pies
Serves: Makes 12
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 (17.3-ounce) packages frozen puff pastry (4 sheets), thawed according to package directions
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, bring strawberries, granulated sugar, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, cornstarch, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and strawberries begin to break down, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- Unfold pastry sheets, and cut each sheet into 6 squares. Spoon 2 tablespoons cooled filling onto 12 squares. Brush edges with water. Top with remaining squares; crimp edges with a fork.
- Gently add pies to oil; fry until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove using a slotted spatula, and let drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cream, and remaining 4 tablespoons lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle onto pies.
Kitchen Tip: Keep sheets of puff pastry refrigerated until you’re ready to work with them.