Sweet, crispy, and so poppable, this is the dessert that will bring everyone back for one more bite. Great for parties and for sharing, even if you secretly want to keep them all to yourself!
Makes about 12
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1¾ cups self-rising flour
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- ⅔ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to fill halfway, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, salt, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon; whisk in buttermilk, egg, oil, and vanilla until a thick batter forms.
- Gently pat strawberries dry with paper towels; gently fold into batter.
- Working in batches, carefully drop batter by scant ¼ cupfuls into hot oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1 cup sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon; dredge warm fritters in cinnamon sugar to coat. Serve immediately.