Settle around the supper table to have a meal full of bell peppers, carrots, collard greens, and sweet potatoes with this Southern-style veggie beef soup.
Southern Vegetable-Beef Soup
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 9 cups beef broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup frozen field peas with snaps, thawed
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 4 cups shredded fresh collard greens
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven, cook ground chuck and next 5 ingredients over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until beef is browned and crumbly; drain.
- Add broth and next 7 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add greens, and cook for 15 minutes or until greens are tender. Stir in tomato paste and next 3 ingredients.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!