Don’t forget a piece of cornbread to soak up the potlikker from these Southern collards.
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 cups water
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (1-pound) bags chopped fresh collard greens
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add 8 cups water, chicken broth, and collards; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes more. Stir in vinegar, peppers, and salt.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!