This soda bread is a traditional Irish quick bread made of flour, buttermilk, and caraway seeds. It’s best enjoyed straight from the oven.
Makes 1 (8-inch) loaf
Write a review
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1¾ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours and next 3 ingredients. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Make a well in center of flour mixture, and stir in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moisten (do not overmix). Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into an 8-inch circle. Place on a baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross into top about ½ inch deep.
- Bake until internal temperature registers 160° and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!