Full of bold Tex-Mex flavors, the King Ranch Chicken Southern casserole gets a makeover for your slow cooker.
Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken
Makes about 6 servings
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips, divided, plus more for serving
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10-ounce) can mild diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- In a 2-quart slow cooker, sprinkle 1 cup tortilla chips; top with chicken pieces.
- In a large bowl, stir together soup, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cornstarch, salt, cumin, chili powder, and pepper until well combined. Pour soup mixture onto chicken, and sprinkle with ½ cup cheese. Top with remaining 1 cup tortilla chips and remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 3½ hours. Uncover and cook until meat thermometer inserted into chicken registers 165°, about 30 minutes more. Serve with additional tortilla chips.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!