Enjoy all the traditional Southern foods for luck and prosperity for the new year in one easy-to-prepare Slow-Cooker Hoppin’ John dish.
Slow-Cooker Hoppin' John
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped orange bell pepper
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 2 cups instant rice
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, stir together peas, stock, greens, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic. Submerge ham hock in mixture. Cover and cook on high until peas are tender, 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir in rice and salt. Cover and cook until rice is tender, 20 to 30 minutes more. Just before serving, stir in hot sauce. Garnish with green onion, if desired.