These yummy Sloppy Joe Pockets can be enjoyed as satisfying snacks or hearty appetizers.
Sloppy Joe Pockets
- 1 pound ground chuck
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated piecrust
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, and bell pepper over medium-high heat until beef is browned and crumbly; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and paste, garlic salt, sugar, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- Unroll piecrusts onto a lightly floured surface. Using a 5-inch round cutter, cut 6 circles from each crust, rerolling and cutting scraps. Spoon 2 tablespoons meat mixture into center of each circle, and sprinkle with 11/2 teaspoons cheese. Lightly brush edges of crust with egg. Fold dough over filling, and crimp edges to seal. Place on prepared pans.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes; serve warm.
Unbaked Sloppy Joe Pockets can be frozen on baking sheets until firm. Transfer to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, and freeze for up to 1 month. Bake them from frozen as directed, adding 5 minutes to bake time.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!