Take your average mac and cheese to the next level with this delicious beefed-up version that includes fresh veggies, seasonings, and spicy cheese.
Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ (16-ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground chuck; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in milk, broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in pasta; cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!