This Skillet Turkey Sausage with Onions, Peppers, and Cheesy Grits is the best of breakfast for dinner.
Skillet Turkey Sausage with Onions, Peppers, and Cheesy Grits
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ pounds mild Italian turkey sausage
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until done. Remove sausage from skillet.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to skillet; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Cut sausage into ½-inch-thick slices, and return to pan. Stir in vinegar, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, whisking frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes or until grits are very thick. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese until melted. Serve with sausage mixture.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!