This spicy meal combines sausage, potatoes, and eggs for a perfect one-pan wake-up call.
Skillet Fries with Sausage and Eggs
- 4 cups diced baking potatoes
- 1½ cups crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped smoked sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 large eggs
- ⅓ cup crumbled queso fresco
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley, ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium saucepan, bring potatoes and water to cover by 2 inches to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until just tender, about 5 minutes; drain well.
- In same pan, bring tomatoes, ¼ cup water, oregano, ¼ teaspoon salt, paprika, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, cumin, and red pepper to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; partially cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook until sausage begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes, garlic, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce onto potatoes. Make 4 indentations in sauce; crack eggs into indentations.
- Bake until eggs are just set, about 12 minutes, or to desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle with queso fresco. Let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and black pepper, if desired.