Shrimp and Cheesy Grits Cakes
Write a review
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- ¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large fresh shrimp
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- To prepare grits: Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits, and cook for 6 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper until cheese melts. Spread grits in an even layer on prepared pan. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm, or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut 24 circles from grits, and place on prepared pan. Spray tops of cakes with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To prepare shrimp: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and next 3 ingredients; cook for 5 minutes or until peppers are softened. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add shrimp, and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken broth, and cook for 4 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Stir in green onion and lemon juice. Spoon shrimp mixture over grits cakes, and serve immediately.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/