These thin and crispy shoestring onion rings have healthy sprinkle of Cajun seasoning and a yummy mustard sauce for dipping.
Cajun Shoestring Onion Rings with Mustard Dipping Sauce
Makes 8 servings
Write a review
- 2/3 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced and rings separated
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose fl our
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, and honey. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. In a large Dutch oven, pour canola oil to a depth of 3 inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together onions and buttermilk, making sure onions are coated in buttermilk. In another large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and Cajun seasoning.
- Working in batches, dredge onions in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Fry onions for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels; sprinkle warm onion rings with salt. Serve with mustard mixture.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/