This delicious Southern soup is a regional favorite in Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia.
Write a review
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup minced sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups seafood stock
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound blue crab meat or jumbo lump crabmeat, picked free of shells and divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup sherry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tender. Whisk in flour, and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in stock, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened. Stir in cream, half of crab, 1 teaspoon salt, and next 3 ingredients; cook until heated through.
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together sherry, parsley, remaining crab, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Ladle soup into serving bowls, and top with crab mixture.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!