The flavored butter these Sweet Potato Biscuits are served with makes a good thing great.
Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- Pear Sage Butter (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly; stir in sweet potato. Gradually stir in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 5 times; pat dough to 1-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut dough, gently rerolling scraps to use all dough. Place biscuits on prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes; serve warm with Pear Sage Butter.
Pear Sage Butter
Makes about 1¼ cups
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup pear preserves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Let come to room temperature before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!