These scrumptious Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Sweet Onions are topped cheese and fresh thyme.
Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Sweet Onions
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 pounds sweet onions, sliced
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk, divided
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup evaporated milk and flour until smooth. In a medium saucepan, bring remaining milk, chicken broth, seasoned salt, and pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. Whisk flour mixture into milk mixture, reduce heat to medium, and cook, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes or until thick. Stir in thyme.
- Arrange one-fourth of potato slices in bottom of prepared pan. Spread one-fourth of milk mixture onto potatoes. Spread one-fourth of onions onto milk mixture. Repeat layers 3 times. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake 45 minutes more or until hot and bubbly and potatoes are tender. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Tip: Caramelized onions in step 1 may be prepared up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!