This Savannah Paella is a meal-in-one dish full of shrimp, meats, and saffron-flavored rice.
Makes about 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 chicken thighs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 chorizo sausage links, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10-ounce) packages saffron-flavored yellow rice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 1 (32-ounce) container plus
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled (tails left on)
- ¾ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a shallow dish, combine paprika, salt, and pepper. Rub mixture evenly over chicken thighs.
- In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Add chorizo, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove chicken and sausage from pan; drain on paper towels.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and garlic; cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are tender. Add rice, stirring to combine. Stir in saffron. Add broth, clam juice, parsley, and juice, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add cooked chicken, chorizo, and shrimp, stirring gently to combine. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Sprinkle peas evenly over paella, and cook for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/