Enjoy these yummy Sausage, Spinach, and Mushroom Calzones with a side of warm marinara sauce.
Sausage, Spinach, and Mushroom Calzones
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 1 (16-ounce) package ground mild Italian sausage
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) bag fresh spinach, stemmed
- 6 tablespoons prepared sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 (16-ounce) packages deli pizza dough
- 2 (8-ounce) packages shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Marinara sauce, heated (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, and onion over medium heat until sausage is browned and crumbly. Gradually add spinach, stirring until wilted. Drain mixture well, and stir in pesto.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 package of pizza dough to an 18x12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle 1 package cheese down one-half of rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border on 3 sides. Top with half of sausage mixture. Fold dough over, and crimp edges to seal. Place on one prepared pan, and brush top of dough with beaten egg. Cut 1-inch slits in top of dough to let steam escape. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, cheese, sausage mixture, and egg.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until dough is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes; slice and serve with marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.
- If the pizza dough springs back when you’re rolling it out, let it stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before trying again.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/