Turnip greens and sausage make a hearty and delicious combo in this easy breakfast casserole.
Sausage and Greens Breakfast Casserole
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups firmly packed chopped turnip greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 (1-pound) loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Spray a 4-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water and turnip greens to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer until tender. Drain well, and let cool.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is browned and crumbly; drain well.
- In a large bowl, stir together bread cubes, sausage mixture, and greens. Pour into prepared pan, and sprinkle with Gruyère, 1/2 cup provolone, and Parmesan.
- In same large bowl, whisk together milk, cream, and all remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour onto casserole. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup provolone. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes, covering with aluminum foil halfway through cooking time to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/