Sausage and Eggplant Arrabbiata is a delightful and delicious spicy Italian dish. If you want to tame the heat, just use mild Italian sausage instead of spicy.
Sausage and Eggplant Arrabbiata
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- ½ (16-ounce) package rotini pasta
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups diced eggplant
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5½ cups chopped plum tomatoes (about 11)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Garnish: chopped fresh basil
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, and keep warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes or until lightly browned and crumbly. Add eggplant, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender and tomatoes have broken down.
- Toss eggplant mixture with hot cooked pasta. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!