This decadent Salted Caramel Custard Tart with Toasted Meringue will impress your family and friends.
Salted Caramel Custard Tart with Toasted Meringue
Makes 1 (10-inch) deep-dish tart
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 2¼ cups sugar, divided
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- Toasted Meringue (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour and next 3 ingredients. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Add egg yolk, processing until combined. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 10x2-inch removable-bottom tart pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned, gently pressing down crust with the back of a spoon if it puffs. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For filling: In a large skillet, stir together 2 cups sugar, ½ cup water, and corn syrup. Cook, without stirring, over medium-high heat for 8 minutes or until mixture turns a deep honey color. Immediately remove from heat, and stir in butter until melted. Gradually stir in cream until mixture is smooth. Reserve 1 cup caramel in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining caramel into a medium bowl, and let cool for 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cornstarch, sea salt, and remaining ¼ cup sugar. Whisk in milk until smooth, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg yolks until combined. Whisking constantly, add one-fourth of hot milk mixture into egg yolks in a slow, steady stream. Whisk egg yolk mixture into remaining hot milk mixture, and cook, whisking constantly, for 5 to 6 minutes or until custard is very thick. Whisk remaining caramel into custard until mixture is smooth.
- Pour warm custard into prepared crust, and cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap on surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving or for up to 2 days.
- Spread Toasted Meringue onto custard. Using a culinary torch, brown meringue. Serve tart with reserved 1 cup caramel sauce.
Makes about 6 cups
- 1½ cups sugar
- 6 egg whites
- In the top of a double boiler, whisk together sugar and egg whites. Cook over simmering water until a candy thermometer registers 140°. Remove from heat, and immediately pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat mixture at high speed for 10 minutes or until thick and fluffy. Use immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!