These delicious Sage and Bacon Rice Grits are great with sausage and eggs on the side.
Sage and Bacon Rice Grits
Makes about 6 cups
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1½teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for serving
- 1⅓ cups cracked rice (rice grits)*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for serving
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pot.
- Stir broth, salt, and pepper into drippings, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and whisk in rice grits and sage. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender and thickened, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cream and butter until melted. Top servings with bacon and additional butter, pepper, and sage.
*We used Delta Blues Rice Grits, available at deltabluesrice.com.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!