Flavored by fresh sage, honey, flaked sea salt, and yummy sweet potato, these tasty rolls will be a huge hit at supper time.
Sage and Sweet Potato Rolls
- 3¼ to 3½ cups bread flour, divided
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk, divided
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- ½ cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- Flaked sea salt (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat 1 cup flour, yeast, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt at low speed just until well combined.
- In a small saucepan, cook ½ cup milk, 6 tablespoons butter, and sage sprigs over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture registers 120° to 130° on an instant-read thermometer. Discard sage sprigs.
- Add warm milk mixture to flour mixture; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add sweet potato, 1 egg, and honey; beat at medium-high speed for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. With mixer on low speed, gradually add 2¼ cups flour, beating just until combined and stopping to scrape bowl.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium speed until a soft, smooth, elastic dough forms, 6 to 8 minutes; add up to remaining ¼ cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 19 portions, and roll each into ball. Lightly spray a large round baking sheet with cooking spray. Starting at outside edge of pan, place dough balls ½ to ¾ inch apart in concentric circles on pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining egg and remaining 1 tablespoon milk; brush onto rolls.
- Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of roll registers 190°, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together chopped sage, remaining 6 tablespoons butter, and remaining ¼ teaspoon kosher salt; brush onto hot rolls. Sprinkle with sea salt, if using. Serve rolls with remaining sage butter.