This Rocky Road Sheet Cake is a special treat full of rich flavor from chocolate morsels, brown sugar, vanilla, and caramel.
Rocky Road Sheet Cake
Makes 1 (13x9-inch) cake
- 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate morsels
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) package light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup caramel ice cream topping
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting (recipe follows)
- 1 (10.5-ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate morsels on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes total.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Gradually add 1 cup hot water in a slow, steady stream, beating just until combined. Stir in vanilla. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Pour caramel topping onto hot cake; let stand for 10 minutes. Spread two-thirds of Chocolate Fudge Frosting onto cake; sprinkle with marshmallows and peanuts. Drizzle with remaining frosting. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Makes about 4 cups
- 1 (2-pound) package confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, and salt until well combined.
- In a large saucepan, bring cream and butter to a boil over medium heat. Working quickly, whisk cocoa mixture into cream mixture until smooth; whisk in vanilla. Use immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!