Don’t waste your money on buying jarred roasted red peppers; here’s how to make your own.
Roasted Red Peppers
Makes 8 (1-pint) jars
Write a review
- 8 wide-mouth pint canning jars, metal lids, and metal bands
- 8 pounds red bell peppers
- 4 teaspoons canning and pickling salt
- Prepare pressure canner, jars, lids, and bands according to manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat broiler. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Cut peppers in half; discard stems, ribs, and seeds. Place peppers, skin side up, on prepared baking sheets. Broil about 5 inches from heat for 4 to 5 minutes or just until peppers look blistered (do not overcook).
- Transfer peppers to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 15 minutes. Peel peppers, discarding skins.
- Bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Place ½ teaspoon salt into each hot sterilized jar, and pack with peppers, leaving 1-inch headspace. Pour boiling water over peppers, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles, and adjust headspace as necessary. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp cloth. Immediately cover with lids, and screw on bands to fingertip tightness.
- Process in pressure canner according to manufacturer’s instructions for 35 minutes at 11 pounds pressure. Let pressure drop naturally, according to manufacturer’s instructions, before opening canner. Let jars stand in open canner for 5 minutes. Place jars on a clean towel on a counter to cool for 24 hours. Check seals. Refrigerate any unsealed jars for up to 1 week.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
After preparing your jars, lids, bands, canner, and peppers, add salt directly to jars.
Pack peppers into jars to within 1 inch of top of each jar.
Ladle boiling water over peppers, leaving 1-inch headspace.
Release any bubbles, then measure and adjust headspace.