This Roasted Pepper, Caramelized Onion, and Bacon Grilled Cheese hits the spot day or night!
Roasted Pepper, Caramelized Onion, and Bacon Grilled Cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 4 slices American cheese
- 8 roasted red pepper strips (about 3×1 inch)
- ½ cup butter
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, and hot sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Heat drippings over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from skillet. Wipe skillet clean.
- Spread 1 bread slice with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture. Top with about 3 tablespoons onions, 2 slices bacon, 1 slice Havarti, 1 slice American cheese, and 2 roasted pepper strips. Spread another bread slice with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture. Place bread, spread side down, onto sandwich. Repeat with remaining bread, mayonnaise mixture, onions, bacon, cheese, and roasted peppers.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Reserve ¼ cup melted butter. Working in batches, cook sandwiches until lightly browned on bottom, about 2 minutes. Brush top of sandwiches with reserved ¼ cup melted butter. Turn sandwiches, and cook until golden brown on bottom and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more, pressing slightly with a spatula. Reduce temperature to medium, if necessary. Serve immediately.
Kitchen Tip: You can use any bread you prefer in place of the sourdough, but be sure it is sturdy enough to support all the toppings.