Jazz up your fresh green salad or pasta dish with pickled beets.
Refrigerator Pickled Beets
Makes about 5 Pints
Write a review
- 3¾ pounds red or golden beets, tops removed
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt*
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1¼ teaspoons black peppercorns, divided
- ⅝ teaspoon caraway seeds, divided
- ⅝ teaspoon fennel seeds, divided
- ⅝ teaspoon celery seeds, divided
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into ¼-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wrap beets individually in foil, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until beets are tender. Peel beets, and cut into 4 wedges each. Cut each wedge into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1½ cups water, all vinegar, and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Place ¼ teaspoon peppercorns, ⅛ teaspoon caraway seeds, ⅛ teaspoon fennel seeds, and ⅛ teaspoon celery seeds into each of 5 sterilized pint jars. Pack beets and sliced onion into jars. Ladle hot vinegar mixture into jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Cover with lids, and screw on bands to fingertip-tightness. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 3 weeks.
- *Pickling salt can be found with canning supplies or in the spice aisle.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/