Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together eggplant and 3 teaspoons salt. Transfer eggplant to a colander set over bowl, and let stand for 30 minutes; discard liquid.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Using a paring knife, cut a small X in the bottom of each tomato. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 20 to 30 seconds; remove and place in a bowl of ice water. Peel and seed tomatoes, discarding skins and seeds, and chop.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes. Stir in eggplant and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, all remaining ingredients, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve immediately.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/