Ripe raspberries add a fresh twist to a classic Southern dessert.
Raspberry Banana Pudding
Serves: 6 (8-ounce) servings
- 2 (6-ounce) containers fresh raspberries, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 to 4 drops red liquid food coloring
- 1 cup 1⁄4-inch-sliced banana (about 1 1⁄2 medium bananas)
- 6 graham crackers
- Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: graham cracker crumbs
- In the container of a blender, process half of raspberries until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl (should make about 1⁄3 cup purée).
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and 1⁄3 cup sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until steaming. (Do not boil.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1⁄3 cup sugar until smooth. Whisk hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture starts to boil. (Mixture will be thick.) Cook, whisking constantly, until cornstarch flavor has cooked out, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and whisk in raspberry purée, butter, 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice, and food coloring. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cold, 3 to 4 hours.
- Whisk cold raspberry pudding until smooth.
- In a small bowl, toss together banana slices and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- In each of 6 (8-ounce) glass containers, spoon 1⁄4 cup raspberry pudding in bottom. Top with half of a graham cracker, breaking into bite-size pieces. Top with 4 banana slices and 3 fresh raspberries. Top with 1⁄4 cup Whipped Cream. Repeat layers one more time in each container. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with graham cracker crumbs, if desired.
Serves: 3 cups
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat all ingredients with a mixer at medium-high speed until medium to stiff peaks form. Use immediately, or refrigerate until ready to use.