These Pumpkin Amaretti Bars are great to serve as a holiday treat, and easy to bake in big batches.
Pumpkin Amaretti Bars
Makes 4 dozen bars
Write a review
- 1 (7.05-ounce) box amaretti cookies*
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons amaretto
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 6 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2½ cups pumpkin purée
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons amaretto
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 eggs
- Garnish: whipped cream, amaretti cookie crumbs
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350˚. In the work bowl of a food processor, process cookies to equal 1½ cups crumbs. Add flour and sugar; pulse until combined. Add butter, amaretto, and almond extract; pulse until combined. Divide mixture between 2 (9x13-inch) baking pans; press into a thin layer. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, rotating pans halfway through baking. Cool completely.
- To prepare filling: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, pumpkin purée, sugar, flour, amaretto, salt, and almond extract with a mixer until very smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition. Pour mixture over prepared crusts.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Cool at room temperature for 2 hours; cover loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve. Cut each pan into 24 squares. Garnish with whipped cream and cookie crumbs, if desired.
- *We used Lazzaroni Amaretti Cookies.
- Kitchen tip: To help avoid cracking, mix the filling just until smooth and do not overbake.
- To freeze: Prepare recipe as directed, but do not slice after cooling. Wrap pans well with plastic wrap, and freeze for up to 1 month.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/