Try stuffed chicken in a whole new way this fall with rich and flavorful winter squash, pears, and prosciutto.
Prosciutto and Squash Stuffed Chicken
makes 4 servings
Write a review
- 1 cup diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup diced peeled acorn squash
- 1 cup diced Bosc pear (about 1 large)
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (4-ounce) package prosciutto
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- On prepared pan, toss together all squash, pear, onion, 2 tablespoons oil, thyme, sage, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper; arrange in a single layer.
- Bake, stirring after 10 minutes, for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Let cool completely.
- Make a lengthwise cut into the thicker side of each chicken breast, cutting to but not through the opposite side; open like a book. Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and using the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin, pound to ¼-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper onto chicken. Layer prosciutto onto chicken, and spoon one-fourth of squash mixture onto one half of each chicken breast. Tightly roll up chicken to enclose filling, and tie with kitchen string.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer skillet to oven.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in center registers 165°. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving (remove string). Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!