Pork Verde Tacos
Serves: 8 to 10
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 pounds boneless Boston butt roast, trimmed
- 2 pounds coarsely chopped tomatillos
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 poblano peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Corn tortillas, Pickled Onions (recipe follows), fresh cilantro, and lime slices, to serve
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt all over pork. Add pork to skillet; cook until browned on all sides. Transfer pork to a 5-to 6-quart slow cooker. Add tomatillos, onion, peppers, paprika, cumin, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Shred pork, discarding fat; return to cooker. Stir in lime juice. Serve on tortillas with Pickled Onions, cilantro, and lime.
Serves: 1 cup
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup warm water, sugar, and salt until dissolved; stir in vinegar. Stir in onion. Let stand for 1 hour. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.