Pepperoni slices, green bell peppers, mozzarella cheese, and rigatoni pasta create an unforgettable mac and cheese!
Pizza Mac and Cheese
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 24 large slices pepperoni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ (16-ounce) package rigatoni, cooked according to package directions
- 1(8-ounce) package cubed mozzarella cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) jar pizza sauce
- ⅓ cup mini slices pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Place large pepperoni in a single layer on paper towels on a microwave-safe plate. Heat on high for 30 seconds; pat dry.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking frequently, until golden, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk; bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, whisking frequently, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in bell pepper and salt. Remove from heat, and whisk in 1½ cups shredded mozzarella until melted. Stir in cooked pasta and cubed mozzarella.
- Pour half of pasta mixture into prepared pan. Top with three-fourths of pizza sauce and half of large pepperoni. Add remaining pasta mixture, and top with remaining large pepperoni and mini pepperoni. Drizzle with remaining pizza sauce.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Top with remaining ½ cup
- shredded mozzarella, and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!